Can landlord charge disabled person deposit for a companion animal?

Lagunitas, CA |

I live in Ca. I am permantly disabled and my doc prescribed me a companion dog. My doc tells me to train dog to then become my service dog. Can my ll charge me a deposit?
My concern is that after getting a dog that my ll will then ask me to move out. Can my ll do that?

You already asked this question - and the answer remains, yes, the landlord can charge you a deposit for a companion animal. Whether your landlord could later ask you to move out - no one can answer that without seeing a copy of your lease. You should speak with a local attorney for further guidance.

Yes - as discussed in your prior question, they can charge you a deposit. Yes, depending on the lease they can ask you to move out - but it really depends on the lease.

Take your lease to an attorney or legal aid to review. Also, it's not a companion dog until certified a companion dog/service dog.

Good luck with your situation and I'm sorry you've reached a point where you need the assistance of a companion, but at least dogs can be great companions and friends.

Matthew Williamson

Please see the answers you got to your previous 2 postings,

which are the same - yes you can be charged a pet deposit even for your prescribed companion dog, and whether your landlord will retaliate against you cannot be known and isn't something you should worry about.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant