Can landlord be charged for perjury?

Alexandria, VA |

Can landlord be charged for perjury in a civil case, Landlord and I went to court and lied and I have proof. How can I bring Perjury charges against landlord?

Perjury charges are not brought by private individuals. In fact, unless the charges are very serious, they are rarely brought at all. If your landlord's lies significant;ly influence the outcome of your case, you might be able to have the decision reconsidered. However, you need a lawyer. You should have had one to begin with and the lies would probably not have been admitted into evidence.

You can not file a criminal perjury charge. Only the Commonwealth's Attorney can. Make an appointment with the intake officer at your local Commonwealth's Attorney's office and present everything you have. These charges are rarely brought but if your evidence is sufficient and depending on the Commonwealth Attorney, you may have a chance.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Zeigler is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia, United States Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, United States Bankruptcy Court (E.D. VA) and United States District Court (E.D. VA). Any comments posted are based on an analysis of only Virginia law or relevant federal law and the limited facts given. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this posting. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights.

Landlord-tenant topics