Can landlady sign new tenants on lease and give you 7 days to leave?

Asked over 1 year ago - Gunter, TX

Been on month to month since lease expired in DEC, 2012. gave notice of moving but no set date.
landlady calls 1/2 hour before hand to show house. we had sp/w her regarding paying only partial month. rent due the 8th. she called today and said had new lease with people and wants us out by 15th.

1. Andrew Ryan Stubblefield

1

Answered . Chapter 91 of the Texas Property Code requires that the landlord give a specific length's notice before terminating a month-to-month lease. Generally, if you pay rent monthly (as opposed to weekly, bi-weekly, etc.), the notice period is generally a month. There is an exception where the landlord and tenant have agreed to a different period. If you have/had a written lease, it might be a good first step to look there. It may also be possible to argue that you and the landlord made an agreement for a shorter term as part of the agreement to pay/accept only a partial months' rent payment for your final month (if I understood your question correctly).

An attorney may be able to help sort things out; but there may be a cost-benefit issue, depending upon the amount in dispute.

Best of luck!

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

2

Answered . Nope. LL has to give you proper written notice IAW TX law-- I recall that being 30 days notice but I am NOT a TX lawyer. Call one, many offer free consultations.

3. Celia R Reed

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague. First, you are entitled to written notice. Second, one half an hour verbal notice of intent to enter apartment is inadequate. Third, seven days verbal notice to vacate is not legal. Contact a local residential landlord-tenant attorney for your options.