Can judge order counseling or refuse to grant divorce?

Asked about 1 year ago - Rogers City, MI

I am plaintiff. Filed due to infidelity.
Have settlement agreement ready to be signed. I don't want this and feel we need more time. I still love him and now want to remain married. Can judge order counseling or more time to be taken to avoid divirce?

1. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . Judges can do anything they want. I doubt that he would delay it if the other side wants it. In the end Judges want their dockets cleared up.

2. Peter L. Conway

1

Answered . If your husband agrees, the hearing may be able to be adjourned, although probably for not more than a few months. If your husband agrees, the case can be dismissed and then filed again later if the reconciliation doesn't work. Finally, if the divorce is granted, you can remarry, although this may have an effect on pension rights, among other things.