Can it hurt me?

Brooklyn, NY |

I'm an Independent contractor and after expensses I only made 8,000 to my pocket this year. I'm going to apply for my citizen after 5 years cause im divorce and I'm affriad they aren't going to give me the citizen because of that ,can it hurt me?

1. This should not hurt you when you apply for citizenship. Hopefully you will do better in 2013.

2. I suggest you post this question again under the immigration heading. Good luck!

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

3. As to being divorced, at your Natz interview they will ask you about this prior marriage - CIS will want to make sure the marriage which conferred upon you your Green Card was indeed legitimate and entered into in good faith. So, do expect to answer questions about the legitimacy of your prior marriage and the reasons for the divorce. As to the low taxes, the Natz application asks whether you have ever failed to file taxes since becoming a permanent resident - so long as you haven't you are OK as the fact that your taxes are low are not an impediment to becoming a USC. You should owe no money to the IRS and I hope you haven't received government benefits either. Best of luck!

This answer does not constitute specific legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. Should you wish the analysis of the specific facts of your case, kindly contact our office to schedule a consultation. Nogueira Morton P.L. 888-442-7252. iara@nogueiramorton.com.