Can international students in paralegal major work in a law firm?

I am studying in American community college in paralegal major , I am an international student and got offer from local law firm . Am I allowed to work there during first year of studies ?

Selden, NY -

Jay Gairson

Jay Gairson

Immigration Attorney - Seattle, WA

You need to talk with your college's DSO (Designated Service Officer). That is the person who issues your I-20 and helps you comply with SEVIS. You might be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT) if you are here on an F-1 visa.

Your college's DSO is who would be able to request the OPT/CPT permission for you and help you obtain it.

Dana Roxana Bucin

Dana Roxana Bucin

Immigration Attorney - Hartford, CT

It is tough working off-campus as an international student during your first year. If you are on an F-1 visa, then OPT requires one full year of study before you can apply for it. There may be a few other ways for you to do it (CPT or hardship-based work permit). If you are on a J-1 visa, it all depends on the program and whether it mandates employment in your area of studies. Your International Students Office will be most helpful in this regard.

Daniel DeMaria

Daniel DeMaria

Federal Crime Lawyer - White Plains, NY

It depends on the type of visa you have. Most limit you to working on campus.

Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

International Law Attorney - New York, NY

Concur with Mr Gairson. Provided that you are studying with an F1 visa, you can apply for OPT. Your sponsoring academic institution can instruct you with the procedure to follow. Best

Todd Matthew Heine

Todd Matthew Heine

Business Attorney - Seattle, WA

Depends on the visa you have and whether you can get a different visa. Need more details...