Skip to main content

Can Interested Parties contest Personal Rep fees?

Rochester, MI |

I am PR of mom's Estate. The Will was filed informal. I have kept receipts, journals, time, and now closing the Estate. I was told I am entitled to payment as PR. It has been a nasty sibling conflict
& question how do fees get submitted. I was also told the siblings may contest my fees.
Will the Interested Parties get notice of my fees? and if they contest (which I anticipate)
how does the process work? If they contest, this will only prevent their final distribution which I thought they were anxious to receive.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. With an informal proceeding, you report your fees to the interested parties on the final account. I generally suggest sending a waiver and consent form along with the account. If they consent to it, you send out the checks. If they want to object, the onus is on them to hire an attorney and file a petition. If you do not have an attorney, you SHOULD have, under the circumstances you describe. The attorney is paid by the estate, not by you. So there is no reason to put yourself in jeopardy, for no reason.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

  2. Yes, they can. Rely on your attorney's advice and guidance.

  3. I have read all the comments and responses and can only say that you need to get yourself in to see an attorney.

    Responses provided on Avvo are for general informational purposes only, based upon the limited information that is provided, and do not constitute legal advice. As such you should consult with your own attorney for specific advice. No attorney/client relationship exists with Kelly S. Davis unless set forth in a written engagement letter. The Wyoming State Bar does not certify any attorney as a specialist or expert. Anyone considering a lawyer should independently investigate the lawyer's credentials and ability, and not rely upon advertisements or self-proclaimed expertise.

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics