Skip to main content

Can insurance company recover medical costs they paid, if I received nothing for a personal injury?

Dayton, OH |

I was injured in a grocery store on 11/23/10, I filed an incident report, but did not hire a lawyer. There was no legal claim. Foolishly, I did thought statute of limitations meant that I had to complete the documentation for claim, rather than actually accepting settlement.
I received nothing for the injury.... my insurance compnay has never contacted me regarding this injury. I hestitate to call them, if they have not contacted me, but am concerned that they will learn about it at a later date. Am I required by law to file a legal lawsuit? And, can they attempt to recover the cost of medical treatments if I received nothing.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You are not required to file a lawsuit to recover the medical bills for your insurance company. Since you received no money you have no duty to repay your insurance company for the medical bills.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.



Thank you, you have been very helpful. This gives me some peace of mind. Have a nice day.


I am a little confused by your question. Lets go through some basics. 1) IF you are injured, it does not necessarily mean that someone else is legally liable. 2) IF you seek treatment for your injuries, YOU, and only you are responsible to pay the bills for such treatment 3) IF the statute of limitations has lapsed, there is no way to pursue a lawsuit against any other person that may be liable 4) There is NO requirement that you file a lawsuit, however YOU incurred any expenses for treatment YOU are responsible to pay the same. Hopefully this is clearer for you now. Good luck.

The above information is not, nor intend to be, legal advice. You SHOULD consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Based on this response no attorney-client relationship has been formed. If your matter is in Cuyahoga County or surrounding counties, we invite you to contact us. Please visit our website at Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until such time and attorney-client relationship is formed. Attorneys in this firm are only licensed to practice in the state of Ohio and have no specific information as to the laws and rules of other states and none of the information provided is intended to be applied to the laws of other states.


Nobody is required to file a lawsuit, as it is voluntary.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755



I love you Chris! You're sexy! AHHH

Ronald Lee Burdge

Ronald Lee Burdge


Well I don't know about that, being a guy myself, but he is right about the law, as usual.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer