Can insurance company recover medical costs they paid, if I received nothing for a personal injury?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dayton, OH

I was injured in a grocery store on 11/23/10, I filed an incident report, but did not hire a lawyer. There was no legal claim. Foolishly, I did thought statute of limitations meant that I had to complete the documentation for claim, rather than actually accepting settlement.
I received nothing for the injury.... my insurance compnay has never contacted me regarding this injury. I hestitate to call them, if they have not contacted me, but am concerned that they will learn about it at a later date. Am I required by law to file a legal lawsuit? And, can they attempt to recover the cost of medical treatments if I received nothing.

1. David J. McCormick

6

1

Answered . You are not required to file a lawsuit to recover the medical bills for your insurance company. Since you received no money you have no duty to repay your insurance company for the medical bills.

2. Peter Stephen Kirner

4

Answered . I am a little confused by your question. Lets go through some basics. 1) IF you are injured, it does not necessarily mean that someone else is legally liable. 2) IF you seek treatment for your injuries, YOU, and only you are responsible to pay the bills for such treatment 3) IF the statute of limitations has lapsed, there is no way to pursue a lawsuit against any other person that may be liable 4) There is NO requirement that you file a lawsuit, however YOU incurred any expenses for treatment YOU are responsible to pay the same. Hopefully this is clearer for you now. Good luck.

Pro

4

1

Answered . Nobody is required to file a lawsuit, as it is voluntary.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com