Skip to main content

Can in pro per request recovery of a motion cost?

San Francisco, CA |

can in pro per request recovery of a motion cost?
P sues D, D is in Pro Per.
D will file a motion to compel some questions. D will spend 10 hours for writing and hearing the motion, he evaluates $50 per hour of his cost.
Normally, it's called attorney fee, but as an in Pro Per, can he requests recovery of the cost he will spend as attorney does? What's the CCP governs this?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You can request sanctions under CCP 2023.010. You may wish to hire an attorney at this point. Good luck.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

  2. You cannot seek attorney's fees if you are not an attorney. Consider hiring counsel.

  3. I don't think you can recover other than reasonable costs and sanctions.

    DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only. It doesn't constitute legal advice. This answer doesn't create attorney client relationship.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics