Can impending funds from a lawsuit by one spouse be considered equitatable in a divorce scenario?

Fort Lee, NJ |
Filed under: Divorce

Lawsuit only in one spouse. Would settlement have to be divided?

1. Yes they can be considered marital property and would need to be reported as potential asset on your CIS disclosure.

DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.

2. More information is required to answer your question. For example, proceeds from a personal injury law suit that are to compensate for pain and suffereing are not subject to equitable distribution, while recovery of lost wages is likely subject to equitable distribution.

For a thorough examination of your rights you should consider meeting with an experienced family law attorney who can take the time to review all the relevant facts with you.

Kenneth A. White, Esq.
    732-819-9100

The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in general, not a legal opinion that can be relied upon. Before a formal legal opinion can be offered I would need an opportunity to review all possible relevant facts and circumstances. You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your sitaution, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the opinion that is being offered. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may the same be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit.

3. It largely depends on the nature of the lawsuit and the specific facts of your case. Case law provides that spouses may have a right to a portion of the lost wages component of a personal injury award. Typically, spouses do not have a right to any other component of a personal injury award, such as pain and suffering. It really depends on the specific facts of your case, though.

Please mark as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if our advice helped you. This information is based upon the limited facts you presented. My advice is based on New Jersey law and may be different if I find that the facts presented are different. Additionally, this answer does not contain any confidential information nor does it create any attorney/client relationship.

4. It all depends upon what the proceeds are compensation for. I suggest you read Landwehr v. Landwehr, a case which discusses this issue in detail as it relates to a personal injury settlement.

Legal disclaimer: In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.