Can illegal immigrants do unpaid internships?

Asked about 3 years ago - Boston, MA

I was brought to this country legally by my parents when I was ten. We came here on a tourist visa. We stayed and now I'm considered an illegal immigrant. I just completed my first semester of college. I'm curious to know if I would be able do an unpaid internship. I need to acquire some job experience and I can't get it though a paid one. Do unpaid internships require you to show a social security number? Do they do background checks?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Immigration takes the position that unpaid internships are employment, therefore it is not permitted. The one exception is if you are doing true volunteer work such as changing bedpans at a hospital or serving food at a soup kitchen.

    If you are in the US without permission or your status is expired, i would not advise working at all, paid or unpaid

    Note: The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Technically illegal immigrants can't do any internships--paid or not--because they are not allowed to be in the country.

    Moreover, any position involving employment verification (which often takes place even for unpaid positions, especially at larger companies) carries some risk of discovery and, potentially, deportation.

    Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask... more
  3. Answered . I agree with both of my colleagues.

    The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,728 answers this week

3,715 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,728 answers this week

3,715 attorneys answering