Can IL Tollway charges be included in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy if they have been sent to a collection agency?law firm?

Asked about 1 year ago - Schaumburg, IL

I have over $30K in unpaid tollway fines with the Illinois Toll Authority. Can these be added to a Chapter 7 filing if they are currently with a colleection agency/law office?

1. Judy A. Goldstein

2

Answered . Speak to your BK attorney but it is unlikely those fines can be discharged. Your lawyer might be able to negotiate a settlement though.

2. Gilbert Rodriguez Dizon

1

Answered . Not dischargeable in Ch. 7.

3. Charles E. Glanzer Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . These types of debts (toll way fines) are not dischargeable in a chapter 7 regardless of whether the debt has been sent to a collection agency. If you have regular income, a chapter 13 would likely be the route to take. It may be possible to pay a percentage (perhaps a very small percentage) of this debt through a chapter 13 plan and have the remaining balance discharged upon completion of your plan. I suggest you speak with a bankruptcy attorney and obtain detailed advice.

4. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

2

Answered . Bankruptcy law requires that all these debts be included in your Chapter 7 filing, but in most places, these debts are not eligible to be discharged because they are in the nature of criminal penalties. You may want to look at paying these debts off through Chapter 13 instead. Hope this perspective helps!