Can ignition interlock be installed on a motorcycle if it's my only means of transportation?

Lake Placid, NY |

The court never ordered me to stay away from motorcycles, I received my license back after 6 month suspension, I was going to wait 6 months for my ignition interlock order to expire but probation says my interlock requirement period does not start untill i have a vehicle with an interlock registered in my name.

1. Yes it can. IID's are made for motorcycles as well as cars. A motorcycle is a motor vehicle for purposes of the applicable statute. If you won or operate the vehicle, the IID must be installed.

Christopher I. Simser, Sr.
    Anelli Xavier
    269 West Jefferson Street, 2nd Floor
    Syracuse, NY 13202
    1-800-DWI-TEAM

2. The IID requirement includes motorcycles (VTL § 123 definitions apply). In 2010, there were none available in NYS. I believe they are now available and the order applies to your motorcycle.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

3. Come on now be real. A motor cycle is a motor vehicle. This very query demonstrates that you are not taking responsibility for your actions.

4. I think a motorcycle clearly falls within the parameters of a vehicle. I agree with my colleagues.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

DUI topics