Can I write to inmates in a prison outside my state to warn them of a threat to their safety in the form of a sexual predator?

Monroe, MI |

My mother was repeatedly raped as a child by a man who is now serving a prison sentence for other crimes of the same nature. I would like to notify inmates incarcerated with him of the nature of his crimes, so that they can protect themselves. More than just a letter, I would also like to include news articles that detail some of his charges. Could there be any legal repercussions for such an action? What if I sent only the news articles and photographs?

In addition to Attorney Doland's comment below, you may be exposing yourself to some possible civil liability such as defamation, intentional infliction of mental distress etc..... It is no fun defending against a frivolous lawsuit from someone or some jailhouse lawyer that has nothing better to do. Also, you may want to contact the prison facility to make sure you are not violating any internal rule or regulation. Finally, you may want to retain personal legal counsel to review the specifics of your plan and perhaps strategize a new plan to accomplish what you want to accomplish with causing you problems which you did not anticipate.

THE WOLF LAW FIRM would be available to assist in this matter after a formal consultation to obtain all necessary facts and review all pertinent documents. An attorney-client relationship with THE WOLF LAW FIRM or Answering Attorney is not established until and if a written engagement agreement is executed by all parties and an agreed upon retainer is tendered. In the meantime, please consider this response as a general answer for the benefit and entertainment of the public. We wish you the best. Thank you. TheWolfLawFirm.com

I don't really think you need to protect the prison inmates.

Further, think what could happen if and when this person gets out of prison and comes looking for the "good Samaritan" who made his life in prison worse that it already was.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Not a good ideal for the reasons espoused by the other answering attorneys on this forum.

Mr. Lambert is licensed to practice law in Michigan. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lambert strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

first and foremost the mailroom would probably intercept any of these letters are news articles and not get them to the inmate you're sending them to. Second you made then be put on some type of a blacklist where your man won't get to people that you really want to get to. 3rd n dates don't need to be protected they have ways of finding out who's in prison for what for and believe me is life will probably be very miserable once they find out he had great somebody. lastly if for some reason this cause this and make to get beat up or some type of injury to him by the other inmates you could be charged with inciting a riot or interfering with the administration of justice. in short I think this is a very bad idea and I would not attempt to try it.

In addition to the other excellent answers, why would adult prisoners need to protect themselves from someone who attacked a child?

My answer to you question does not constitute legal advice. Only an in person or telephone consultation will result in an attorney/client relationship. Please do not rely on brief answers without checking with an attorney in a confidential consultation.

Adult prisoners would need to protect themselves from someone who attacked a child because the person has demonstrated the willingness to attack a child. What's not to protect? Wouldn't you like to know if someone who was getting to know you was likely to attack your children?

Child abuse topics