Can I write off attorney and court fees for a chapter 7 bankruptcy that was discharged on my taxes?

Asked about 6 years ago - Portland, OR

Bankruptcy tax write off

1. Answered . In almost all consumer cases, bankruptcy fees and expenses, including those of the bankruptcy attorney, are not deductable expenses on a personal income tax return.

In my Long Island bankruptcy practice in New York, I often get questions from clients about other tax issues related to bankruptcy. Click the following article to see an article I wrote for the Suffolk Lawyer about the effect of a recent bankruptcy on income tax issues. In particular, filing bankruptcy does not create tax consequences.