Can I work with my old social security number?

Asked 11 months ago - Cincinnati, OH

I got out of status but got my work permit recently through marriage. My question is can I work with my old social security number or do I need a new one? The company that's willing to employ me told me they need my social security number for background check.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . If your SS number is valid you can always use it.

2. Ajay Kumar Arora

8

Answered . Assuming that the original social security number was legally obtained, you will keep the same number for life.

3. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

6

Answered . If you have a valid SS number open in your name it is yours for your life

4. Juan Paolo Pasia Sarmiento

5

Answered . Go to the SS office, inform them your about your old number, and show them your work permit. Then use what they give you (sometimes you get to keep your old NUMBER e.g. you got if when you were an F1 - but they update their systems).

JP Sarmiento
    Free Consultations (email /phone/in-person)
    (216) 573-3712
    jp@sarmientoimmigration.com
    www.sarmientoimmigration.com

5. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

5

1

Answered . If you obtained your Social Security number by legal means, it is still valid. However, if it is stamped "not valid for employment" you will need to go to the Soc Sec Administration with your work permit. You will likely get the same number but without any restrictions.

6. Boris Alexander Palant

5

Answered . You have your SS# for the rest of your life regardless of your status.

7. Ili J. Subhan

Pro

5

Answered . Yes. Your social security number remains the same throughout your life.