Can I work while I am waiting for the approval of U visa?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Syracuse, NY

I applied for the U visa yesterday and right now I am staying at the shelter and after three months shelters won't take me in anymore because they can only keep in you in shelter for three months.. I don't have a work permit or any money or any relative in United States that could help me. How is someone going to live for one whole year without any money or place to stay and wait for their U visa approval? I'm so worried and I don't know where I'll go after they ask me to leave the shelter.. Is there a way I can work till I get my U visa? Can someone please me tell me..

1. Nicklaus James Misiti

Answered . I don't know the answer to your personal questions but to legally work you need a valid work authorization. I would speak to members of the shelter about where people typically go after there allowed time there is up.

2. Irene Vaisman

Pro

Answered . I would contact a public interest/human rights/non-for profit organization in your area to help you with your case and discuss options with you. U visa cases is something they typically handle.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.