Can I work while I am waiting for the approval of U visa?

Asked about 2 years ago - Syracuse, NY

I applied for the U visa yesterday and right now I am staying at the shelter and after three months shelters won't take me in anymore because they can only keep in you in shelter for three months.. I don't have a work permit or any money or any relative in United States that could help me. How is someone going to live for one whole year without any money or place to stay and wait for their U visa approval? I'm so worried and I don't know where I'll go after they ask me to leave the shelter.. Is there a way I can work till I get my U visa? Can someone please me tell me..

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Nicklaus James Misiti

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . I don't know the answer to your personal questions but to legally work you need a valid work authorization. I would speak to members of the shelter about where people typically go after there allowed time there is up.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an... more
  2. Irene Vaisman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I would contact a public interest/human rights/non-for profit organization in your area to help you with your case and discuss options with you. U visa cases is something they typically handle.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Related Topics

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,026 answers this week

3,425 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,026 answers this week

3,425 attorneys answering