Can I work on my F-1 OPT if my green card application through marriage to a US citizen is pending?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lafayette, IN

I have been on F1 status for 6 years. My husband is a citizen and we are getting married in 2 weeks. I will apply for green card right after. I will graduate a year from now and if my green card doesn't come through, i will apply for my F1 OPT to seek employment. will my F1 OPT be valid and usable even if my green card is pending?

1. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . Why do you think that your green card won't come through?

It probably makes no sense to use the OPT .. .it will cost money for the permit and will take the same 90 days as the temporary work permit you get when filing for the grencard.

Meeting with an immigration lawyer, many of us use Skype for this.

2. Lalita Haran

3

Answered . Most likely NO. You should consult an immigration attorney if you would like to know more. Best Wishes!
    Lalita Haran
    Attorney: Immigration Law
    13295 Illinois St ste 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174
    www.haranlaw.com

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Yes

4. C. C. Abbott

1

Answered . It is best to consult an experienced immigration attorney to review your options based on your goals, immigration history and employment desires. The issue of immigration intent will be a concern that needs examining.