Can i work on full commission under OPT? Will this be a problem if i apply for H1b visa?

Asked almost 2 years ago - West Palm Beach, FL

I worked on full commission during my OPT period. The same company is sponsoring me for H1b and willing to offer me a salary after my H1b gets approved. Will it be a problem if i had to show my OPT pay stubs to the embassy when i'm stamping my visa?

1. Jeffrey Adam Devore

2

Answered . There are no salary requirements for F-1 aliens granted OPT. How to address your H-1B application will depend upon the specific facts of your case. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for case specific advice.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . Meet with the company's H-1B lawyer .... it 'might' be OK ... if those paystubs showed substantial commissions. You should also discuss with the lawyer whether or not you had W-2, or 1099 income.

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Can i work on full commission under OPT?
    Ask your DSO.

Will this be a problem if i apply for H1b visa?
    H-1B requires a salary.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case.