Can I work offshore (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off) if I am on probation for a DWI in Houston, Tx.

Katy, TX |

I have a job offer to work offshore for a company (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off) and I was wondering if that is allowed. I have 15 months left on my probation from a 5 year sentence. Everything is caught up except my fees. I just got done serving 30 days "jail therapy" for my first violation (technical) in 3 1/2 years. What all should I know before I face my PO (which is actually in 2 days)?

1. One issue that may have bearing on this is how often you have to meet with your probation officer. Generally speaking, it is encouraged for those on probation to be employed. If you had an attorney on the DWI, it might be a good idea to call them, as they should be aware of the terms of your probation. However, it will probably just be easiest to talk to your probation officer - it doesn't sound as if the job will pose any serious problems as far as probation goes.

2. If you're only supposed to report once a month, you should be fine. It's important that you're letting your probation officer know what is going on.

Austin Probation Lawyer
    512-495-1813
    www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website, www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

3. Most POs will work with you in a situation like this. They have incentive to keep you employed--so you can pay them! If your PO tells you that you can't take the job, I would have an attorney approach the judge about it. Judges are (usually) more level-headed than field officers.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.