Skip to main content

Can I work in my free time on Amazon Mechanical Turk?

Allentown, PA |

I am H1b holder.Can I work for any online work like Mturk in my spare time?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No. While on H-1B, the only work you can perform while in the US is for the employer that filed the H-1B.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.



If I get gift card from them for online survey then Is it fine? Thank you


Not if you are being compensated for it. You may only work for your H-1B employer.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


NO ... your H visa is tied to one employer, and one employer only ... no outside work, not even self-employment work, is permitted.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.



John Lassen 1-877-252-4630

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer