Can I work if my EAD is expiring in next 15 days but I applied for renewal?

Currently I am on L2 EAD, n its is expiring on May 20 2012,but I have already applied for renewal. its pending for the decision. Can I work ? Or I have to stop working & rejoin back till my renewed EAD comes?

Bellevue, WA -

Attorney Answers (4)

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

You will have to stop working. The 240-day rule is only for H-1Bs.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

Yes, up to 240 days actually of the extension request is timely filed.

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

No. You cannot. One is only allowed to work with a VALID EAD, not an expired one. The mere fact that you filed for an extension that is currently pending does not authorize you to continue working.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
Alena Shautsova

Alena Shautsova

Immigration Attorney - Brooklyn, NY

Aliens in certain nonimmigrant categories are authorized to continue working for the same employer for a period not to exceed 240 days after the expiration of their current period of stay, as long as a timely filed extension of stay application is pending with the USCIS. 8 C.F.R. § 274a.12(b)(20).

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more

Related Topics

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Featured Legal Guides

Employment visa

Employment-based immigration visas are divided into five types of visas (EB-1 through EB-5), each of which have different requirements.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.