Can i work from india remotely for my US employer with out status and US work permit

Asked about 2 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

Currently i'm working in IT industry on L2 EAD for a US employer as a full time employee. My EAD expires on Jul 20th, 2012. My company filed H1b for me for FY 2013 and the start date is Oct 1st 2012. Its a US health care company which doesn't have any branches/ offices in my home country India. here are my questions

1. can i keep working for the same company in the same role from india (remotly) for august and september until my h1b start date. i will not have any status/ work permit for this period.
2. is it legal to do so? if yes where shoudli pay the taxes? India or US or both.
3. if my husband leaves (L1 visa holder) by June end, can i stay here till july 20th and work?
if no, can i work from india atleast till july 20th.( i have work permit till July 20th).

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Karen-Lee Pollak

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can work from India but not as a US employee. You can work as a consultant. If your EAD is based on oyur L you cannot work after your husband's L-1 status is terminated

  2. David Joseph Rodziewicz

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Contact Brigette Bennett at Bennett Law Center near Orlando.

    She is an outstanding local immigration attorney:

    Bennett Law Center
    302 W Orange St
    Groveland, FL 34736
    Office: 352-557-8989

    Good luck.

    [Here Comes The Disclaimer] Avvo is a great place for people to share information and that's what we are doing... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, with the guidance of a good attorney ... it might be possible.

    FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  4. Robert West

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The other attorneys are correct.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,088 answers this week

2,803 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary