Can I work for one E-verified and one non-e-verified employers in my OPT extension?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

I got my OPT extended when I was working for an e-verified employer. Now I got a new job and I am working for both my new (35 hours) old company (10 hours a week). The new employer is a University so I thought I am pretty much safe but they are not e-verified. The university is also willing to do my H1B. Please advise about what should I do.

Thanks,
VJ

1. Stephen D. Berman

1

1

Answered . If this is an OPT extension for STEM, the employer must be e-verified.

2. Karin Wolman

Pro

1

1

Answered . Not enough information; the answer may require review of your documents or more specifics. If you specifically got a 17-month STEM OPT extension, then it does not cover work for an employer that is not enrolled in E-Verify, but if that employer is an accredited non-profit university then they may file a cap-exempt H-1B petition for you. For more specifics, you need to consult with an attorney.

3. Marc Damien Sean Taylor

Pro

1

1

Answered . You should have ascertained what you needed to do before you started to work for the second employer.

The law requires that to apply for the extension, the employer must be an E-Verify Employer. There are also a requirement for certain changes (address, name, employer name, etc.) that need to be reported to the student's DSO within 10 days.

You should contact the DSO office immediately.

4. Robert Victor Torrey

1

1

Answered . While on OPT STEM you must work only for E-verified employers. If the university would like to sponsor an H-1b, then you need to speak with them.