Can I work as an independent contractor while my authorization to work is pending? Will this affect my adjustment of status?

Asked about 2 years ago - Barstow, CA

I graduated about 6 months from an auto mechanic school! I am very happy. However, my adjustment of status application is pending along with my authorization to work. I had to make several corrections on the application and now USCIS sent me a receipt saying it is in process and they cashed my check. Meanwhile, I was recently approached for a job by a mechanic who needs help, and he told me that he can hire me as an independent contractor. My student loan payments are about to start in September 2012, and I need to make some money to pay that down. Since I am married to a US citizen and I applied the adjustment of status and authorization to work, how would I be impacted if I elect to work as an independent contractor? Technically, as an independent contractor, I would not be "employed."

1. Robert West

Answered . Not legally.

2. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . No.

3. Rehim Babaoglu

1

1

Answered . I agree. However, any illegal employment may be waived by your US citizen spouse.