Can I work and live abroad having a 3 yr contract as a cabin crew while on a permanent resident card?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

Hi I'm interested in working abroad due to a great opportunity traveling the world. My only concern is I'm a permanent resident and not yet a citizen. The 5 star airline would like to sign a 3 yr contract and I will be based on a different country. For 3 yrs,. Will that affect my chance to become an american citizen since I don't live here for so long since American laws requires you to stay here and reside in the us. This is a unique question. And hoping for a smart advice. Ty in advance. I have heard some permanent resident cardholders work abroad and just at least visit the USA once a year. Is this true? Ex were actors, etc

1. Fadi N. Minawi

Best Answer

Answered . You may apply for a re-entry permit for up to a period of 2 years at a time. If approved, this document would allow you to be out of the US as a Permanent Resident for the approved period of time. You may apply for a renewal subsequently, but the application must be made from within the US.

2. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . I agree with attorney Minawi

3. Thomas Esparza Jr.

Pro

Answered . this really depends on the employer. find a good lawyer in the Bay area to look up the specific laws much as i would do if you were in my office. avvo is the only place to get general answers but as you said this is unique to your facts and should be researched in a law office. good luck and have fun and be sure to file US tax returns, etc.