Can I work and live abroad having a 3 yr contract as a cabin crew while on a permanent resident card?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

Hi I'm interested in working abroad due to a great opportunity traveling the world. My only concern is I'm a permanent resident and not yet a citizen. The 5 star airline would like to sign a 3 yr contract and I will be based on a different country. For 3 yrs,. Will that affect my chance to become an american citizen since I don't live here for so long since American laws requires you to stay here and reside in the us. This is a unique question. And hoping for a smart advice. Ty in advance. I have heard some permanent resident cardholders work abroad and just at least visit the USA once a year. Is this true? Ex were actors, etc

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You may apply for a re-entry permit for up to a period of 2 years at a time. If approved, this document would allow you to be out of the US as a Permanent Resident for the approved period of time. You may apply for a renewal subsequently, but the application must be made from within the US.

    Legal disclaimer: For specific advice on your case, Mr. Minawi can be reached at 1-866-929-0991 ext. 206 or by... more
  2. Answered . I agree with attorney Minawi

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Answered . this really depends on the employer. find a good lawyer in the Bay area to look up the specific laws much as i would do if you were in my office. avvo is the only place to get general answers but as you said this is unique to your facts and should be researched in a law office. good luck and have fun and be sure to file US tax returns, etc.

    The advice that I give in each answer or legal is not intended to take the place of an in person consultation. A... more

Related Topics

Green card holders and travel

Leaving the United States without filing a reentry form may cause the authorities to believe you have abandoned your permanent residency.


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,088 answers this week

3,729 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,088 answers this week

3,729 attorneys answering