Can I withhold rent payment if my landlord is changing the lease agreement

Asked over 1 year ago - Cliffside Park, NJ

I currently live with my landlord (the is the owner of the condo that I am renting). He is using one room, and I am using the other. His family is going to be visiting him for an extended period of time (2 week - 1 month or more). I told him that I will withhold rent, because in the lease contract it says guest can stay no more than 3 consecutive days. Plus I'm not getting any discount on my rent b/c of the additional ppl. Worried that he will change the locks or something. Do I have a valid point here?

Response to Mr Lefkowitz's post...
I don't mind his family visiting...for me, that's not the point. The main issue that arises with his family, is that he put up curtains in the living room and is using it as his bedroom now. His family is going to use his room. So I am not able to use the common room such as the living room and balcony.

1. Steven Todd Keppler

2

Answered . No, you don't. The lease binds you, not him.

2. Adam Lefkowitz

1

Answered . Generally speaking, it's almost never a good idea to withhold rent. There's a whole host of reasons, but I prefer the most practical: there's no need to anger your landlord, especially since you live with him and have to see him every day. Also, there's nothing in your post to indicate the visiting family members will dispossess you of your room, your right to use and enjoy the common areas of the condo, or the right to use the common areas of the condo complex. At the most you might want to ask for a contribution for the electric or cable bill, but do you really want to be rude to your landlord's family? (see my second sentence, above.) All in all, this may be a good time to strap on your sneakers and explore some of the great outdoors.

3. Glenn R Reiser

Pro

1

Answered . It seems like you are looking for trouble. He owns the property. Unless your lease gives you the right to dictate how he uses it then you're out of luck. Withholding rent will enable him to file an eviction lawsuit, and could expose you to paying his legal fees for the eviction even if you settle the case. Pay the rent and he won't change the locks. There is no self-help remedies for residential evictions. The landlord must go through the court system. If you don't like this arrangement (he uses one room you use the other), then you may consider moving out when the lease term ends. While this is not the arrangement that you anticipated, he owns the property and can use it as he sees fit.