Can I withhold rent if my apartment is infested with bedbugs?

Riverside, CA |

When my roommate and I moved in to this apartment we immediately started being bitten by bedbugs. Our apartment manager played stupid with us until we brought some to her and now, 8 months later we are still dealing with the problem. They spray individual units but not the whole building and they keep coming back. The apartment owner refuses to tent the whole building. And we have asked him repeatedly. Can we legally withhold our rent until it is fixed?

1. Yes, withholding rent is one of the legal remedies available to a tenant, but it depends upon the severity of the problem. Take a look at the discussion on withholding rent at:

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author (who is only admitted to practice law in the State of California). For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

Landlord-tenant law topics