Can I win a hearing case on a probation violation for not being able to pay restitution ?

Asked over 1 year ago - West Haven, CT

6yrs ago I was ordered to pay $300 a month for restitution and 5 yrs of probation I have made payments until I lost my job because of my charge. I did everything that was asked of me by the court I never violate probation or got in to trouble. I have gather all my documents of income of the last 6 yrs and proof that I am indigent and I receive government help and live in the HUD housing authority. If I have a probation hearing would I be put in jail for being indigent ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John Paul Thygerson


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You shouldn't be. We no longer have debtor prisons and the court should do a restitution study to determine if you really can't pay. Talk to your lawyer. There is a supreme court case that addresses this issue. It is called Beardon v. Georgia.

  2. Thomas E. McCabe

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Should speak with your public defender if you had one or your probation officer if you report to someone. It all depends upon the severity of the underlying crime and the terms and conditions of probation.

  3. Salvatore Bonanno


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Generally, when the court has these cases it does consider whether a person's financial circumstances have changed substantially from when the plea was entered, and probation began. In this case, the court may also look to see what, if anything, you paid. Please secure a competent criminal defense attorney because there are ways to secure a resolution without jail, if you can pay the balance over additional time.

    Good Luck

    Attorney Bonanno's answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,903 answers this week

2,771 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,903 answers this week

2,771 attorneys answering