Can I win a case if the EEOC have given me a notice of "right to sue" letter?

Asked over 2 years ago - Knightdale, NC

My current employer promoted me from hourly position to a salary management position. Once my criminal background information was obtained my employer sent me a letter to terminate me but then reconsidered and gave me my original position back. I started my hourly position 09/2007 and was promoted 04/2011 When I first started I disclosed all of my criminal background history with the company. Now that I recieved this letter from the EEOC what are my chances of finding a lawyer to pick up the case and winning? I later found out someone of a different race had the same issue in 2008 but they got promoted with no problem even though his criminal history was worse than mines. How do I handle this?

1. Kirk J. Angel

Pro

1

Answered . The EEOC right to sue letter is no predictor of success or failure for a discrimination lawsuit. It is only procedural document that allows you to file the lawsuit in the first place. The most important things for you to do now are (1) request a complete copy of your file from the EEOC pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act and (2) find a good employment attorney in North Carolina.

2. Marilynn Mika Spencer

2

Answered . I am a California attorney and not eligible to give legal advice in your state. The following is information only.

Going through the EEOC administrative process and obtaining a right-to-sue letter is a mandatory prerequisite to filing a lawsuit in court. After the EEOC has finished doing whatever it will do with a charge, it issues a right-to-sue letter. A right-to-sue letter is not a statement on the strength or weakness of your case. Almost always, the right-to-sue letter says that there was insufficient evidence to determine whether there was a violation of law. This does not mean the EEOC was able to adequately investigate your case. All it means is that the EEOC is not going to do anything else.

After you receive the right-to-sue letter, you only have 90 days to file a lawsuit in court. From an attorney's perspective, this is a very short time, so I urge you to look for an attorney immediately.

In addition, a North Carolina employment attorney can let you know whether there is a similar law in your state that provides more generous benefits to employees than does whatever law your EEOC case alleges the employer broke.

To find a plaintiffs employment attorney in your area, please go to the web site of the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA). NELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the country for attorneys who represent working people. The web site is www.nela.org, and you can search for attorneys by location and practice area.

3. C. C. Abbott

Answered . I agree with my colleague. YOu need to consult with an experienced employment attorney in North carolina who can examine the facts of your case and provide a legal option. Many EEOC "right to sue" letters are no true indication of the existance of discrimination based on the method utalized by the EEOC based on its resources and mandate through Federal legislation and regulations. Good lcuk.