Can I will my entire estate to one of my three children? My other two children are wicked and deserve to rot in hell.

Brentwood, CA |

I witnessed what happened with my ex-husbands estate. Therefore I want to guarantee two of my three children recieve nothing from my estate. But I understand this is a very difficult thing to do. Any suggestions?

1. You can accomplish your wishes.
    Meet with a local estate planning attorney
    to discuss your many options.
    This is not a difficult task as you can leave your estate
    to anyone you want.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

2. It is not as difficult as you may think. I agree with Attorney Pippen, you should consult with an estate planning attorney to get your estate plan completed.

You can also call my office if you wish to speak with someone in more detail about it.

This communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.

3. Yes, as explained by the other attorneys who responded, you can certainly chose who you wish to leave your estate to. You do not have to give anything to the children you would rather have "rot in hell." Its really up to you... Consult with an estate planning attorney to set it up so that your estate goes to who you want to...
    Best of luck...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. . That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

4. I disagree with the other attorneys only with regard to "guarantee". There is never a guarantee - they can contest you will and the other child or executor may find it is less expensive to give them something than to go to trial and make sure they get nothing. If it is that important to you, meet with an attorney and make sure they are very specific in your estate planning documents as to why you are disinheriting the 2 children. The clearer you are, the more likely they will not contest your estate plan.

Wills and estates topics