Can I will my entire estate to one of my three children? My other two children are wicked and deserve to rot in hell.

Asked over 1 year ago - Brentwood, CA

I witnessed what happened with my ex-husbands estate. Therefore I want to guarantee two of my three children recieve nothing from my estate. But I understand this is a very difficult thing to do. Any suggestions?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is not as difficult as you may think. I agree with Attorney Pippen, you should consult with an estate planning attorney to get your estate plan completed.

    You can also call my office if you wish to speak with someone in more detail about it.

    Good luck.

    This communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, as explained by the other attorneys who responded, you can certainly chose who you wish to leave your estate to. You do not have to give anything to the children you would rather have "rot in hell." Its really up to you... Consult with an estate planning attorney to set it up so that your estate goes to who you want to...
    Best of luck...

    THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. . That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can accomplish your wishes.
    Meet with a local estate planning attorney
    to discuss your many options.
    This is not a difficult task as you can leave your estate
    to anyone you want.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more
  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I disagree with the other attorneys only with regard to "guarantee". There is never a guarantee - they can contest you will and the other child or executor may find it is less expensive to give them something than to go to trial and make sure they get nothing. If it is that important to you, meet with an attorney and make sure they are very specific in your estate planning documents as to why you are disinheriting the 2 children. The clearer you are, the more likely they will not contest your estate plan.

Related Topics

Wills and estates

Understanding wills and estates can help you create a legally binding plan to protect your assets and final wishes, as well as reduce taxes on your estate.

Estate planning

Estate planning refers to the process in which you decide and document what happens to your assets after you die, by making things like wills or trusts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,359 answers this week

3,562 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,359 answers this week

3,562 attorneys answering