Skip to main content

Can I utilize Social Media, Facebook or twitter to collect on an invoice from a Hollywood celebrity?

Atlanta, GA |
Filed under: Business Internet law

A Hollywood celeb owes me money for design work I performed on her home last year. I have tried to take her to Small Claims but when she appeared, she had a corporate attorney with her and got the case moved from Atlanta to LA. Obviously to discourage me from pursuing collections. At this point, I'd love to let everyone know what a dead beat she is, but don't want to get slapped with a defamation law suit from her hired thug.. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Calling an attorney a "hired thug" is not the way to ask other attorneys for free advice.

    Generally speaking, the truth is a valid defense to a defamation lawsuit. But do you really want to suffer the costs of a lawsuit just to assert the defense? The truth will not prevent this celebrity from filing the defemation suit. I suggest contacting an attorney to discuss your options; and to discuss whether it is in your interests to pursue this matter now that the forum has been changed to L.A.

    Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196 or If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.

  2. Hired thug at the ready to answer! The best advice is take this as a lesson on what not to do next time as opposed to just spiral this out into some negative publicity machine for your business. Do your plans and expect to make a bad situation worse. Sorry and best of luck, your friendly neighborhood thug.

    This answer is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice regarding your question and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

  3. It would be a bad idea even if you used measured language, and given that you called we lawyers "hired thugs" I think it would be a catastrophic disaster for you. Plain and simple: don't.

    If this is enough money to worry about, retain a lawyer and deal with it appropriately, in court. Good luck!

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Business topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics