Can I utilize Social Media, Facebook or twitter to collect on an invoice from a Hollywood celebrity?

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

A Hollywood celeb owes me money for design work I performed on her home last year. I have tried to take her to Small Claims but when she appeared, she had a corporate attorney with her and got the case moved from Atlanta to LA. Obviously to discourage me from pursuing collections. At this point, I'd love to let everyone know what a dead beat she is, but don't want to get slapped with a defamation law suit from her hired thug.. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

1. Adam Lefkowitz

3

Answered . Calling an attorney a "hired thug" is not the way to ask other attorneys for free advice.

Generally speaking, the truth is a valid defense to a defamation lawsuit. But do you really want to suffer the costs of a lawsuit just to assert the defense? The truth will not prevent this celebrity from filing the defemation suit. I suggest contacting an attorney to discuss your options; and to discuss whether it is in your interests to pursue this matter now that the forum has been changed to L.A.

2. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . It would be a bad idea even if you used measured language, and given that you called we lawyers "hired thugs" I think it would be a catastrophic disaster for you. Plain and simple: don't.

If this is enough money to worry about, retain a lawyer and deal with it appropriately, in court. Good luck!

3. Robert John Murillo

1

Answered . Hired thug at the ready to answer! The best advice is take this as a lesson on what not to do next time as opposed to just spiral this out into some negative publicity machine for your business. Do your plans and expect to make a bad situation worse. Sorry and best of luck, your friendly neighborhood thug.