Can I use NCAA/College logos for a recruiting service? Not for merchandise sales.

Sacramento, CA |

I will be starting an athlete recruiting service and would like to use NCAA/College logo's on the website representing a potential end goal....which is going to college.

1. With NCAA and university permission, yes.

2. Q:"Can I use NCAA/College logos for a recruiting service?"
    R: Only if you acquire a license from the NCAA -- or the relevant college. You and your own attorney should contact the Collegiate Licensing Company [ http://www.clc.com ].

The above response is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

3. Regardless of whether you are using another's logo to sell goods or services, you cannot do so without that party's consent. The NCAA's or any other college's logo is a trademark, which identifies and distinguishes their goods/services from another. Placing the NCAA's logo or any other college's logo on your recruiting service website gives the public the impression that you are in some sort of relationship with the NCAA/college or that it is endorsing your services. This cannot be done without acquiring consent and entering into a licensing agreement, which will lay out the terms of use by another for the intellectual property.

The information and materials provided by SARVEY ASKARIEH on this Website are for informational purposes ONLY and should NOT be relied upon as legal advice, legal opinion or any other professional advice and nor do they constitute legal advice, legal opinion or any other professional advice. Nor does the transmission and/or receipt of information contained on this Website from SARVEY ASKARIEHh FORM or CONSTITUTE an attorney-client relationship with Yevras Law Group (YLG), or its attorney(s) partner(s), associate(s), or consultant(s). Simply contacting SARVEY ASKARIEH via a contact form, email or otherwise will not establish an attorney-client relationship between you and SARVEY ASKARIEH. Also, any transmission of information between you and SARVEY ASKARIEH is NOT intended to, and will NOT create an attorney-client relationship between you and SARVEY ASKARIEH and does not and should not give you a reasonable basis for belief that such a relationship has been established. An attorney-client relationship between YOU and any attorney(s), partner(s) and/or consultant(s) of YEVRAS LAW GROUP (“YLG”) can ONLY be created by the signing of YLG’s written representation agreement. SARVEY ASKARIEH does not guarantee the privacy or confidentiality of any communications sent by you by electronic methods via use of e-mail or contact form on this website. You shall be solely responsible for the security, confidentiality, integrity, and use of all communications that you transmit to SARVEY ASKARIEH via this Website. Without a signed written representation agreement with SARVEY ASKARIEH, unsolicited communications by you to SARVEY ASKARIEH will not be treated as confidential or be protected by any Attorney-Client Privilege and/or offered any protection, regardless if the content is deemed to be privileged, sensitive or confidential. SARVEY ASKARIEH does NOT agree to accept and/or maintain the secrecy of any unsolicited communication you send to HER unless an attorney-client relationship currently exists between YOU and HER.

4. Q:"Can I use NCAA/College logos for a recruiting service? Not for merchandise sales."
    A: Yes, provided you want to take a legal risk. How large is the risK is what you really want to know, I suppose. That requires you to consult with an experienced IP attorney or licensing attorney. The NCAA is not typically as aggressive as the NFL, and seems to concentrate more on athletic paraphernalia and to give recruiters a lot of leeway. Look for years of experience and pick an attorney that doesn't just say "not legally" without answering your question as to whether you can. In Sacremento, you might contact Scott Pink http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/95814-ca-scott-pink-265102.html or Stephen Davis http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/95826-ca-stephen-davis-380555.html

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

Trademark infringement topics