Can I use my virtual business address for my LLC's Articles of Organization document in CA?

Cypress, CA |

Is it legal to use my virtual business address under section 3 ("LLC Addresses") on my Articles of Information? Rather than my home address? The virtual address is located in California, but in a few cities over. And this is an online business.

1. You need a physical street address for the LLC for section 3a of the Articles of Organization. However, if you prefer having a separate mailing address, you can enter that in section 3b, and that is where your mail will be sent.
    Please remember, though, that the LLC-1 form is the FIRST document you need to do, not the ONLY document. You still need an Organizing Agreement, issuance of membership certificates, and other things. It would be a very good idea to have a lawyer help you for all that.

www.bayoaklaw.com. 510-208-5500. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is not legal advice, because it is only of a general nature. Please contact a lawyer qualified in your jurisdiction to discuss your situation in confidence, using your factual details. Avvo answers are only general legal responses. Item 9 of Avvo.com's Terms and Conditions are incorporated in this disclaimer as though it were printed here.

2. Great question! I hope someone can give you an answer. If you do not get one, a little bit of legal research should clear that up.

3. Depends on how "virtual" this office is. Can't be an amorphous non-physical, intangible "floating" office.

But, there are virtual offices that permit companies to rent space for a fancy Madison Avenue/Wall St/etc. address, provide phone answering and offer conference rooms at a very affordable rate.

So to answer your question, at least in NY, my law firm's virtual office IS our PPOB, as listed in all our corporate documents. For more detail, I would need to know more about the nature of your business and would strongly suggest you seek out and consult a California attorney on the matter.

Attention: This e-mail originates from the law firm of CARTER PEK, P.C. ("The Firm"). All information appearing herein is protected and regarded as confidential, and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) indicated above. Be advised that if the reader of this message is not in fact the intended recipient, notice is hereby given that any dissemination, distribution and/or copying of this message is strictly prohibited and punishable by law. If you have received this message in error, kindly reply to sender forthwith, and destroy and purge any and all copies of such message, whether in paper, digital or other media format. If you are not an existing client of The Firm, do not construe anything in this message to cause you to become a client of The Firm, unless it contains a specific statement to that effect, and refrain from disclosing any sensitive information in which you have an expectation of privacy and/or confidence if sending a reply. contains a specific statement to that effect, and be careful not to disclose any sensitive information in reply that you expect to hold in confidence. If you are the intended recipient hereof and are a client, co-counsel or retained expert of The Firm, be mindful to maintain its contents in strict confidence in order to preserve any and all privileges, including the attorney-client and/or work product privileges that may apply. Thank you. IRC 230 Disclosure: In accordance with Internal Revenue Code 230, The Firm hereby advises you that, unless otherwise expressly stated, any reference made to or discussion of a federal tax issue contained in this message, or in any attachment(s) hereto, are neither intended nor permitted to be used for purposes of avoiding federal tax penalties.

4. Yes - any real street address, even one for a virtual office, suffices.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Business topics