Can I use my virtual business address for my LLC's Articles of Organization document in CA?

Is it legal to use my virtual business address under section 3 ("LLC Addresses") on my Articles of Information? Rather than my home address? The virtual address is located in California, but in a few cities over. And this is an online business.

Cypress, CA -

Andrew Kevin Jacobson

Andrew Kevin Jacobson

Business Attorney - Oakland, CA

You need a physical street address for the LLC for section 3a of the Articles of Organization. However, if you prefer having a separate mailing address, you can enter that in section 3b, and that is where your mail will be sent.
Please remember, though, that the LLC-1 form is the FIRST document you need to do, not the ONLY document. You still need an Organizing Agreement, issuance of membership certificates, and other things. It would be a very good idea to have a lawyer help you for all that.

Eric Burton Strongin

Eric Burton Strongin

Business Attorney - San Juan Capistrano, CA

Great question! I hope someone can give you an answer. If you do not get one, a little bit of legal research should clear that up.

Dana Howard Shultz

Dana Howard Shultz

Business Attorney - Oakland, CA

Yes - any real street address, even one for a virtual office, suffices.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
Matthew Adam Pek

Matthew Adam Pek

Litigation Lawyer - New York, NY

Depends on how "virtual" this office is. Can't be an amorphous non-physical, intangible "floating" office.

But, there are virtual offices that permit companies to rent space for a fancy Madison Avenue/Wall St/etc. address, provide phone answering and offer conference rooms at a very affordable rate.

So to answer your question, at least in NY, my law firm's virtual office IS our PPOB, as listed in all our corporate documents. For more detail, I would need to know more about the nature of your business and would strongly suggest you seek out and consult a California attorney on the matter.