Can I use my married name when applying for (DACA) Deferred Action Childhood Arrivals?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I just recently got married and I'm applying for DACA but I haven't changed my name with the Mexican consulate, so all identification and paperwork that I'm sending as proof of residence show only my single name.
Will USCIS accept my application with my married name and copy of U.S. marriage certificate, or am I better off just applying with my single name and changing it in the future assuming I'm granted a work permit.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You may use your new name. Submit your marriage certificate so that you can immediately explain, without waiting for a request for evidence (RFE), why you are using a different name now.

    Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street,... more
  2. Vladimir Galstyan

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can use your new name and your filing will be accepted.

  3. Gintare Grigaite

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, you can use your married name and make sure you enclose your marriage certificate.

    Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 646-407-2331, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now