Can I use my income on affidavit of support if my US citizens spouse income is to low?

Marquette, MI |

My wifes income doesn't me the standard level. Could my income and savings be used to satisfy the requirement? I'm a Canadian citizen.

Is this a green card application for you? If so, there are some limitations on the ability to use your own income. Please review the I-864 instructions very carefully. If you are still unclear, it would be a good idea to hire an immigration attorney. Best wishes.

This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

The intending immigrant spouse's (your) income can be counted if it will continue from the same source after you become a lawful permanent resident. Your assets can also be used if the total value of your assets equal at least three times the difference between your total household income and the current poverty guidelines for your household size.

Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Recommended articles about Immigration