Can i use my employment authorization card to travel within the US?

Asked 6 months ago - Austin, TX

I'm waiting to hear the decision on my asylum application (which has been more than a year since my interview). Currently, I am in a student visa but my passport expired and have no state id or drivers' license. Recently, I applied for employment authorization card (EAC) and got it before a week. So, i was wondering if I can use my EAC to travel within the US?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Valid one, you can. It is a Government issued ID, after all.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. David Michael Gottfried

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Depends what kind of traveling you want to do, you couldnt fly with it, but just as an id in case you got asked for you, sure, that plus your expired passport.

  3. Morrie Pour Nourian

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Your EAD card is not a travel document but since is newly issued you should immediately apply at local DPS to renew your DL. You can use both or either as an ID or if you have a valid passport to fly within the U. S.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.


Asylum is a form of protection offered to people who fear persecution in their home country and are in the United States or an entry port.

George Tenreiro

The Basics on Applying For Asylum

The asylum process requires thoughtful analysis, together with supplementary materials that reinforce the strength and credibility of one’s application. Applicants should work with an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,396 answers this week

3,214 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,396 answers this week

3,214 attorneys answering