Can i use my employment authorization card to travel within the US?

Austin, TX |

I'm waiting to hear the decision on my asylum application (which has been more than a year since my interview). Currently, I am in a student visa but my passport expired and have no state id or drivers' license. Recently, I applied for employment authorization card (EAC) and got it before a week. So, i was wondering if I can use my EAC to travel within the US?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Depends what kind of traveling you want to do, you couldnt fly with it, but just as an id in case you got asked for you, sure, that plus your expired passport.

Thanks a lot for letting me know about this! But, i was wondering if i can get a state id or drivers' license using my EAC I'm student and want to attend a conferences within the US

David Michael Gottfried

David Michael Gottfried

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/id-cards.php#Texas-ID-Cards-Eligibility-Requirements

Thanks a gain!!

Valid one, you can. It is a Government issued ID, after all.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Thanks a lot! that feels good My employment autherization card is valid until may 2015 (just got it before a week)

Your EAD card is not a travel document but since is newly issued you should immediately apply at local DPS to renew your DL. You can use both or either as an ID or if you have a valid passport to fly within the U. S.