Can I use Facebook as evidence in my child custody case? I already have ex parte custody.

Asked 6 months ago - Lake Charles, LA

Specifically, can I use inappropriate photos and posts shared by my ex? Photos include alcohol use, drinking while driving, nudity, etc., and the kids have access to her social media pages and have seen these photos (and even appear in some of them). Posts include references to suicide, being bipolar and off her meds, being near eviction for failure to pay rent, being in danger of having utilities shut off for failure to pay, threats to physically assault others, degrading and negative comments about me and my wife, and again, the kids have access to all of this. I have this content printed out, but I got it through my children as I do not have access to her social media pages. Is it admissible in court?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Larry Bernard Hampton Jr

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Facebook posts can be admissible in a custody case if they are relevant to the issues before the court, but you will need to discuss with your attorney the steps required to lay a foundation for having them admitted into evidence.

  2. Lauren G. Coleman

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Facebook post can be used subject to the rules of evidence. You will need to discuss with your attorney what those rules are and how to properly introduce this evidence. Most of what you mentioned has to do with the mother. A custody case is about the children, not the parent. The court considers the best interest of the children, and is not necessarily focused on the condition of the parent unless it has a direct impact on the children.

    Every situation is different and you should consult your own attorney to go over all the particular facts in your... more
  3. Lee Alan Thompson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Yes, I have two custody cases right now where facebook is playing a big role. In fact, in all cases anymore, the first thing I do is check facebook. Get an attorney ready. You need to know how to present the evidence.

    Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful"... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,333 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,333 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary