Skip to main content

Can I use DHS Travel Document or Stateless Travel Document for a short vacation to Costa Rica?

New York, NY |

I'm Russian citizen and the US permanent resident since Nov 2009. My Russian passport has expired but I have Stateless Travel Document issued by the US Immigration service (DHS Travel Document) and it is valid until Dec 2013. Do I need to apply for Costa Rican visa?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Dobredin, Tovartich/a!

    Yes, you do need to apply for a Costa Rican visa on your Travel Document ("White Passport").

    I would contact the Costa Rican embassy before you do that, to see how long that will take and whether or not you'll need to file for a new Travel Document (which am afraid you'll have to do, since the current one expires in about a month and a half.)

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Yes, you do need a visa.

    This information is intended as general information only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship between me and the asker.

  3. Yes

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics