Can I use DHS Travel Document or Stateless Travel Document for a short vacation to Costa Rica?

New York, NY |

I'm Russian citizen and the US permanent resident since Nov 2009. My Russian passport has expired but I have Stateless Travel Document issued by the US Immigration service (DHS Travel Document) and it is valid until Dec 2013. Do I need to apply for Costa Rican visa?

Dobredin, Tovartich/a!

Yes, you do need to apply for a Costa Rican visa on your Travel Document ("White Passport").

I would contact the Costa Rican embassy before you do that, to see how long that will take and whether or not you'll need to file for a new Travel Document (which am afraid you'll have to do, since the current one expires in about a month and a half.)

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

You will never again need to renew your Russian passport or travel with it.. You will soon have a beautiful, blue colored U.S. passport to proudly travel with, of course, as soon as you file and obtain citizenship. I don't know when you qualify, but don't delay that process!

Thank you for the information!

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

You are always welcome!

National Russian Fed. (RU) /Residence USA (US) Destination Costa Rica (CR) Costa Rica (CR) Passport required. - Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid at least 6 months on arrival. Passport Exemptions: - Residents of the USA: - for holders of US Permit to Re-enter (Form I-327); Visa required, except for A max. stay of 30 days for residents of the USA: - for holders of US Permit to Re-enter (Form I-327); - for holders of a US Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) valid for at least 6 months on arrival. Minors: - Passport not required for minors under 18 years of age, provided: For details, click here Additional Information: - Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay and documents required for their next destination. - Extension of stay possible for a total stay of 90 days. Warning: - Return/onward ticket For details, click here is required to travel to Costa Rica. - Exempt are holders of foreign passports stating Costa Rica as place of birth. CHECK TINEWS/N1 - USA: CHINESE TAIPEI WILL JOIN THE V.W.P.

I just found the info. Does it mean I do not need a visa?

You do not have Stateless passport. The US Law does not provide relief or protection to stateless persons, what you have is just US Travel Document for people who were granted asylum or refugee status.

Yes, you do need a visa.

This information is intended as general information only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship between me and the asker.

National Russian Fed. (RU) /Residence USA (US) Destination Costa Rica (CR) Costa Rica (CR) Passport required. - Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid at least 6 months on arrival. Passport Exemptions: - Residents of the USA: - for holders of US Permit to Re-enter (Form I-327); Visa required, except for A max. stay of 30 days for residents of the USA: - for holders of US Permit to Re-enter (Form I-327); - for holders of a US Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) valid for at least 6 months on arrival.

Yes

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.