Can I use deadly force?

Asked about 3 years ago - Seattle, WA

if phoenix jones runs up on me trying to intervene what he perceives to be illegal activity and I resist and he pulls out his taser on me, can I shoot him?

1. Arthur D Leritz

Pro

Answered . No. The use of deadly force is only permissible if you are in fear of “great personal injury,” which means you have to have reasonable grounds to fear imminent danger of death or great bodily harm given your knowledge and the circumstances at the time of the assault. Since a taser can't kill you, it is not justified.

Sincerely,

Arthur D. Leritz

2. John P. Yetter

Answered . As a general rule the force used in self defense must be equal to the force threatened against you. A gun is an escalation of the violence in the situation - a taser is not deadly force - and therefore you would likely not have a valid defense.