Can I use bank account statement as a form of asset in the form I-864?

Asked 12 months ago - New York, NY

Hi, My husband is a U.S. citizen with no income besides means-tested and we can't seem to find a joint-sponsor anywhere. In this case, if I have my family put the amount of money required in assets (5x the poverty guidelines) in my bank account would I be able to use that to sponsor myself? Thanks

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Not the statement. The money on your account can be used this way. The statement is evidence of the existence of the assets.

2. Robin Jean Gray

Pro

2

Answered . You should be able to do that. You do need to have proof that the money is not a loan, but was a gift.

This answer is for informational purposes only. It does not establish an attorney client relationship.
  3. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . That should work, as long as they are actually giving you the money and it is not a loan.