Skip to main content

Can I use bank account statement as a form of asset in the form I-864?

New York, NY |

Hi, My husband is a U.S. citizen with no income besides means-tested and we can't seem to find a joint-sponsor anywhere. In this case, if I have my family put the amount of money required in assets (5x the poverty guidelines) in my bank account would I be able to use that to sponsor myself? Thanks

Attorney Answers 3

  1. That should work, as long as they are actually giving you the money and it is not a loan.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  2. You should be able to do that. You do need to have proof that the money is not a loan, but was a gift.

    This answer is for informational purposes only. It does not establish an attorney client relationship.

  3. Not the statement. The money on your account can be used this way. The statement is evidence of the existence of the assets.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics