Can I use an L1 visa to travel to the US only for a week or two for some business work?

Houston, TX |

The business work is related but it is not to the T exactly the job I will be doing when I officially land and stay for a long period of time (1 year) using the L1 visa. However since the visa was granted for numerous entries, can I use it to go to the US for a week or two and then come back (Argentina)? Or do I need to apply for an B1/B2 visa?

I must add that the L1 visa is already approved and stamped in my passport whereas I would need to apply (and pay) for the B1/B2 visa.

1. I would go the other way around and use B1/B2 to do business and the other personal venturing.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

2. The activities you are proposing is not what the L-1 visa was meant for. All the business activities you are mentioning are classical B-1 visit purposes.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

3. We would need to know specifics on the types of work you are describing. If you are from a waiver country, the business visit visa will likely suffice and won't take much work.

If you are working here for a week or two, then enforcement action is less than likely. That said, it would be a pity to get in trouble with the immigration authorities and mess up your L1 status if you got caught working outside the scope of that visa. In all likelihood, you can probably comply with minimal effort.

Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and confidence they need to comply in any country. Our answers on this site do not constitute legal advice, nor do they establish an attorney-client relationship. The only thing that can do that is a signed Engagement Letter and Fee Agreement, which you can get by contacting us through www.totalmobilitylaw.com.

4. My recommendation is that you should apply for a B1. If you speak with an immigration attorney he/she will tell you the average issuing time. We have attorneys from Argentina in our firm. Feel free to take contact with our firm. Best.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.