Can I use an L1 visa to travel to the US only for a week or two for some business work?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

The business work is related but it is not to the T exactly the job I will be doing when I officially land and stay for a long period of time (1 year) using the L1 visa. However since the visa was granted for numerous entries, can I use it to go to the US for a week or two and then come back (Argentina)? Or do I need to apply for an B1/B2 visa?

Additional information

I must add that the L1 visa is already approved and stamped in my passport whereas I would need to apply (and pay) for the B1/B2 visa.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Tripti Sharad Sharma


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would go the other way around and use B1/B2 to do business and the other personal venturing.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The activities you are proposing is not what the L-1 visa was meant for. All the business activities you are mentioning are classical B-1 visit purposes.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. Todd Matthew Heine

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . We would need to know specifics on the types of work you are describing. If you are from a waiver country, the business visit visa will likely suffice and won't take much work.

    If you are working here for a week or two, then enforcement action is less than likely. That said, it would be a pity to get in trouble with the immigration authorities and mess up your L1 status if you got caught working outside the scope of that visa. In all likelihood, you can probably comply with minimal effort.

    Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and... more
  4. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . My recommendation is that you should apply for a B1. If you speak with an immigration attorney he/she will tell you the average issuing time. We have attorneys from Argentina in our firm. Feel free to take contact with our firm. Best.

    This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,524 answers this week

3,292 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,524 answers this week

3,292 attorneys answering