Can I use an alias to sign up at websites and post comments and reviews?

New York, NY |

I want to maintain my privacy and protect my identity. Is this okay and can I use alias type email addresses (if there is such a thing)

1. Sure. It's done all the time...a person named "Robstumpftalkstoomuch" posted a review of my law firm on another website, and I am pretty sure that's not her real name.

2. Yes, you can. Whether it is legal and proper may be determined in part by the type of website and the nature of your use thereof. I suggest you review the terms and conditions of use for the website and be guided accordingly.

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

3. It depends on the website. When you sign up you are agreeing to a contract, and some website TOS may require real names. For instance, Google+ and Facebook.

This is not legal advice but only general information. No attorney-client relationship is created without a written and signed retainer. I do not know all the facts of your specific situation, which will affect this general post. You can get more information at my websites: http://kindsvater.com http://internetmarketinglawcenter.com

4. If permitted by the terms of use, yes.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

5. Yes, absolutely, assuming the terms and conditions on the particular website allow for it. Even if they don't, it's not illegal to post anonymous comments. Just don't go reviewing your own books under an assumed name, as sock puppet reviews are ethically suspect.

Internet law topics