Can I use an alias to sign up at websites and post comments and reviews?

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

I want to maintain my privacy and protect my identity. Is this okay and can I use alias type email addresses (if there is such a thing)

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

4

4

Answered . Yes, you can. Whether it is legal and proper may be determined in part by the type of website and the nature of your use thereof. I suggest you review the terms and conditions of use for the website and be guided accordingly.

2. Robert A. Stumpf

4

1

Answered . Sure. It's done all the time...a person named "Robstumpftalkstoomuch" posted a review of my law firm on another website, and I am pretty sure that's not her real name.

3. Brian Gail Kindsvater

4

1

Answered . It depends on the website. When you sign up you are agreeing to a contract, and some website TOS may require real names. For instance, Google+ and Facebook.

4. Michael Charles Doland

2

Answered . If permitted by the terms of use, yes.

5. Robert Scott Lawrence

2

Answered . Yes, absolutely, assuming the terms and conditions on the particular website allow for it. Even if they don't, it's not illegal to post anonymous comments. Just don't go reviewing your own books under an assumed name, as sock puppet reviews are ethically suspect.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now