Can I use a Rule Nisi when I file for legitimation and custody?...Will this help me get temporary custody quicker?

Waynesboro, GA |

I am about to file for legitimation and custody of my son son who has been in my sole care until 5/13 when his mother made me bring him back by attempting to charge me with kidnapping which she couldn't (only violation of custody*despite us not having a custody agreement*) I have been his sole provider from birth to 5 yrs old his has lived solely under my roof and the mother is bi polar manic depression and has stopped seeing her psychologist and psychiatrist(she has gotten so bad that she needs both). This places my son in harms way and she also uses marijuana and drinks.

Before you screw up with a pro se case, you NEED a lawyer. Do NOT file pro se!

Since you have not legitimated the child, the mother had sole custody and you had to return the child (and could have been criminally charged). You should have hired counsel in May and not delayed.

A rule nisi is simply a scheduling of a court date. That may or may not be appropriate in your case, as different courts set court dates differently, but I suspect what your lawyer will actually do is to file for legitimization and custody and seek an emergency order or emergency temporary hearing.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

You are on VERY shaky ground. Since you have never legitimated your son, you have no legal standing to keep the child. You need to file a legitimation and custody action immediately and you need to request an emergency hearing. Filing a Rule Nisi is merely requesting the court to set a hearing date. Although you are legally entitled to represent yourself in such an action, the court is unlikely to seriously consider the case without a lawyer being involved. There are some things you can do for yourself. Custody is not one of them. I highly recommend that you contact counsel to assist you.