Skip to main content

Can I use a Prayer for Judgement for a charge of theft?

Wilmington, NC |

I took $30 out of the cash register at work because I was short on my rent payment, and was caught on camera and fired before I put it back. I am a good kid, and I have never been in trouble before. If I'm convicted, am I allowed to use a prayer of judgement ruling?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Only a Judge can grant a PJC. It is not automatic if you request it. Typically, a Judge will not grant these on a case such as this unless you have done something to show remorse and show that you have learned from it. The better route to go would be a deferred prosecution if you are able to. The best way to get either would be to hire an attorney or apply for a court appointed attorney. Don't expect a PJC on this if you are trying to do this yourself. Best of luck!

Any advice given does not enter the Attorney and person asking the question into any privileged relationship.


Yes, you need judicial intervention.


Are you charged with misdemeanor larceny(misdemeanor) or larceny by employee (felony)? You may be eligible for a PJC , however it is in the judge's discretion. Additionally, a PJC does little to help you in this situation, as it is still a conviction and will still show up on criminal record checks. you should try to get into a deferred prosecution program, which would enable you to keep your record clean. contact an attorney for more information.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer