Can I use a PO box as my only business address in San Jose CA, and do I need a Registered Agent for my LLC in San Jose CA?

San Jose, CA |

we are moving our home office from Fremont to San Jose. We have decided that a PO box is better for us. But I have been told that I need a real address as well where you can find a person involved with our business. Is this true and if so how do I put down both adresses?

1. LLCs need to have a physical street address (e.g., 123 Main Street, Anytown CA), although it can also have a PO Box for mail purposes. The physical street address can be a residential address. Registered agents for service of process need to have a physical street address also. Ask your lawyer if she or he will be willing to be your agent for service of process; many lawyers will be willing to do it for free if you keep the lawyer current with your information.

www.bayoaklaw.com. 510-208-5500. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is not legal advice, because it is only of a general nature. Please contact a lawyer qualified in your jurisdiction to discuss your situation in confidence, using your factual details. Avvo answers are only general legal responses. Item 9 of Avvo.com's Terms and Conditions are incorporated in this disclaimer as though it were printed here.

2. I completely agree with Mr. Jacobson.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

3. Messrs Jacobson and Doland have provided indisputably correct answers, as they both often do. You may wish to request that your general counsel provide you with a street address in order to avoid the ready accessibility of a residential address on a state form. While some attorneys will prefer not to do so for a variety of reasons, others will accomodate you without hesitation.

When I respond to a question posted on Avvo, I provide information for a general purpose. In reviewing my answer, you are specifically warned that your use of, or reliance upon any response that I provide would be a bad idea. I do not have all relevant background or facts related to your matter, and am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon any response by me does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us and does not qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose.

4. Nothing requires that the agent for service of process be in the same city or county as the company.

5. Your LLC needs a street address (rather than a PO Box), but there is no requirement that someone involved with your business be there. So, for example, you could use Regus or some other virtual office provider, or a UPS Store or some other personal mailbox provider. You would need to make sure, of course, that from time to time you pick up the LLC's mail or have it forwarded to you.

As my colleagues noted, many business lawyers act as agent for service of process for their clients at no additional charge beyond the usual fee for their other services.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Business topics