Can I use a not so popular foreign brand name as my own in my country where it is not yet resgitered?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

So Im planning to use the name of a certain "product" let us say, "MIRACLE DUST" for example. It is registered in HONG KONG as a brand name and I want to use the same brand name including logos in BELGIUM where it is not yet registered. I am planning to patent/register it. Is this possible? can the original company sue me?

1. Michael Charles Doland

2

Best Answer

Answered . In some countries "first to register" has definitive importance. In others, first to use in interstate commerce or international commerce with the US has primary imporance and legal priority. Your question is best put to a Belgian or other EU lawyer for an answer you can rely on. Remember, Avvo answers are analysis, not legal advice (see terms of use.) If you wish to hire an EU or Belgian IP lawyer because this is a present, signficant question, you may contact me for the info on my correspondents. EU lawyers don't have the legal culture to answer free questions.

My most common answer which I repeat on Avvo is use originality. One day you may seek to export to Hong Kong. If the product is good enough, you can name a computer after a piece of fruit, like an apple.

2. Daniel Nathan Ballard

3

Answered . Attorneys who are licensed to practice in one or more states within the United States cannot competently or ethically provide you with information about Belgian law. Spend some time reading the information on the website published by the Benelux Office for Intellectual Property [see the link below] and then speak with a trademark licensed to practice in Belgium.

3. Victor Calvin Johnson

2

Answered . The answer is likely not a simple as whether the foreign brand has "registered" the mark. In the US, trademark rights are created only when goods or services are offered within the geographic borders of the United States. However, there is no requirement that the brand owner "register" it (there a number of reason why one would want to register) to obtain protection against others registering it/infringing due common-law rights in the mark. Common law rights arise from actual use of a mark and may allow the common law user to successfully challenge a registration or application.

You should talk with an trademark attorney.