Skip to main content

Can i use a lawyer from iowa for a quiet title lawsuit in memphis tenn.

Cedar Rapids, IA |

father decease in april had 6 property with wife his step daughhter file a quiet title lawsuit for all properties reside in memphis tenn

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes. That lawyer will need to apply to the court to practice pro hac vice in the state of Tennessee. Then, the court needs to allow the application.


Sure you can, provided that the lawyer is licensed in TN, and further provided that you are comfortable that the attorney is well conversant on the TN law governing "quiet title actions". Pro hac vice is an option, but it likely tells you that he/she may not have handled many such TN actions in the past.


I agree that it is possible, but, as an Iowa licensed attorney, I would either refer you to a Tennessee attorney, or at the very least hire co-counsel. While I may be able to educate myself adequately regarding the law and local practice, there is always the possibility of getting "home-towned." In addition, the cost of having your attorney travel to Tennessee several times would seem to be prohibitive.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer