Can i use a lawyer from iowa for a quiet title lawsuit in memphis tenn.

Asked about 1 year ago - Cedar Rapids, IA

father decease in april had 6 property with wife his step daughhter file a quiet title lawsuit for all properties reside in memphis tenn

1. Vincent J. Gallo

2

Answered . Sure you can, provided that the lawyer is licensed in TN, and further provided that you are comfortable that the attorney is well conversant on the TN law governing "quiet title actions". Pro hac vice is an option, but it likely tells you that he/she may not have handled many such TN actions in the past.

2. Thomas O. Moens

Answered . I agree that it is possible, but, as an Iowa licensed attorney, I would either refer you to a Tennessee attorney, or at the very least hire co-counsel. While I may be able to educate myself adequately regarding the law and local practice, there is always the possibility of getting "home-towned." In addition, the cost of having your attorney travel to Tennessee several times would seem to be prohibitive.

3. Cheryl Rivera Smith

1

Answered . Yes. That lawyer will need to apply to the court to practice pro hac vice in the state of Tennessee. Then, the court needs to allow the application.