Can I type/help write a witness affidavit for immigration when my parents do not write in english well enough...I type faster

Asked over 1 year ago - La Jolla, CA

too, so they prefer that i write their side of the story while they had it notarised. Is this acceptable or not. It's for an immigration scam that they are adding their side as to how they witnessed it happening to me by my spouse, so I helped them type while we decided what needs to be written with my parents.

Also, if I want to mention that I helped them with typing, how can I word it to sound right and 'legal' and how to do that on that witness affidavit. Should I also claim that I helped them with their english or just typing. Thanks

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

18

1

Answered . Yes, you can.

2. Andrew Marino Bramante

14

1

Answered . I sometimes put a sentence at the end of the affidavit:
    "All the above statements were read back to me word for word in my native ____________ language. "
    You don't need to say that you typed it. Most affidavits are typed.
    If this is for your immigration case, are you receiving any legal help? If yes to the first and no to the second, you might consider at least getting a consulation in person or by phone to make sure you are doing the right things. Immigration law is rarely straightforward and reasonable. Good luck.

3. Khoa Maxwell Nuyen

12

1

Answered . Yes. You may assist your parents in the preparation of affidavits, declarations, and supporting documents.

4. Ingrid Arnalda Morfa

14

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. I don't see any issue with you helping your parents out.

5. Alexander Joseph Segal

13

Answered . Please do. Help the parents. It is indeed a good deed and completely permissible as long as you explain to the verbatim what the affidavit says, in their native language.